Signs You May Need a Root Canal
posted: Jul. 23, 2018.
Do you need a root canal?
Root canals are essential to oral health care and, unlike people think, they're not that painful. On the contrary, root canals relieve pain. Modern technology has come a long way, allowing your Piscataway, NJ, dentists, Drs. Nainesh Desai and Warren Lorch, to treat your tooth pain.
More About Root Canals
When a cavity is deep enough to infiltrate enamel and dentin and reach the pulp, this results in pain. Your Piscataway dentist removes the pulp and disinfects the canal. Your doctor then seals the canal to prevent any more bacteria from entering.
Reason for Root Canal
One of the main reasons people end up needing a root canal is because of poor oral hygiene. If you don't brush your teeth twice a day and floss at least once, then plaque and tartar build up on teeth. Plaque produces bacteria that eat into teeth, producing cavities.
Root Canal Procedure
A tooth consists of four layers. The outermost layer is enamel, white part of tooth that's also the strongest. The second layer, under the enamel, is called dentin and it is soft yellow and softer. The third layer is the pulp. It consists of blood vessels and nerves. The last layer is the cementum, which anchors the whole tooth to the jawbone.
How to Prevent Root Canals
- Getting professional dental cleanings and checkups every six months to remove hardened plaque that's accumulated on teeth and around gums over time
- Brushing your teeth for at least two minutes twice a day, at least, while holding the brush at a 40-degree angle to clean hard-to-reach areas
- Receiving fluoride treatment and using fluoride-containing products like toothpaste and mouthwash, or drinking fluoride-containing water, to prevent issues like gum disease and tooth decay and help repair teeth
- Flossing at least once before bed will remove food debris
- Avoiding tobacco, smoking, and drinking too much coffee and tea
If you have any questions, or concerns about root canals, don't hesitate to call your dentists, Drs. Nainesh Desai and Warren Lorch, in Piscataway, NJ. You can also schedule an appointment at this number: (732) 981-1040.